It is mostly consumed as a main dish though sometimes it is also used to make sweet dishes. It is either cooked like a dish by boiling and adding spices, or can be made into a paste. Green gram sprouts are consumed directly with lemon and salt as a healthy snack or added to salad. This form of green gram is obtained by germinating them in water. In some parts ,its cover is removed to make green gram pulse.
In China green gram is used to make to a certain kind of dessert. In some countries, green gram paste is used to make ice creams or frozen ice pops. Green gram batter is used to make a certain kind of crepes named pesarattu in Andhra Pradesh.
1. It is a rich source of low fat protein, has a wide amino acid profile and contains no trans or saturated fats.
2. It has both insoluble and water soluble fibers that help maintain a healthy appetite.
3. Water soluble fiber helps lower LDL cholesterol and protects from cardiovascular diseases.
4. It digests slowly and gradually releasing sugar into the blood and helps maintain the blood sugar level.
5. It is said that the water in which green gram was soaked is a good medicine during cholera, measles and chicken pox.